This task is essentially one of demonstrating a grasp of linear perspective which is where two parallel lines converge on a distant vanishing point, like railway tracks disappearing into the distance. Obviously, in a house the vanishing point is likely to be somewhere outside the room but the principle is the same. My house is full of these; a bungalow with add-ons added to add-ons, it’s like a three storey house laid on its side. I tackled one direction through the kitchen or Drawing 1 so this time I looked out the other way.
The first drawing was, as directed, in a drawing medium and I used a red watercolour pencil which I knew would leak into the paint when I applied it and add a warm undertone to the colour. I chose a limited palette of two colours – naples yellow and cobalt blue – with titanium white and payne’s grey to mix. I couldn’t resist an accent of cadmium orange though, where a spot of sunlight caught a wooden wind chime.
[unusually, I forgot to take photographs of the early stages so these are the final two].
I applied paint in a very dilute form at first, building gradually to a less transparent appearance. I hadn’t really done that much until the still life exercises and it’s been a revelation. I like the delicacy that I hadn’t realised acrylics could deliver, alongside their capacity to sit solidly as textures in their own right.
After letting this dry a little, I went back to add tiny details along the side of the fridge and the microwave, for instance, the lights along the top windows, and a white wash over the foliage outside the window at the back to fade it into the distance.
My personal evaluation of this is that I’ve surprised myself because I find perspectives difficult to reproduce. I can only think that the exercises in the Drawing module have paid off and given me a head start on this task because I struggled far less this time. I also worked quickly focusing on the whole rather than the individual elements and I think that paid off too. I found the cupboard doors tricky and had trouble placing the knobs and door edges which still look somewhat out of line, but I see the edge of the sink unit on the left as a major achievement, and the floor boards (actually vinyl) almost convincing.
After the rather underwhelming sketches, I had wondered if this was going to be a disaster and because it isn’t, I’m maybe less critical than I should be of it. It’s not perfect but it pleases me, and that will do for now.
Time taken, including sketches – 3.75 hours.